Lake County has been approved to receive $883,110 from the Federal Emergency Management Agency for a culvert project that will reduce localized flooding and debris flow at selected sites burned by the Valley wildfire, which began Sept. 12, 2015.
FEMA covers 75 percent of the eligible costs with the county paying the remaining 25 percent, for a projected total cost of $1.1 million.
The project includes installing 55 culverts in areas where burn scars prevent rainwater absorption. Engineers found debris and flood flow potential is up to 1.7 times the normal amount, which presents an expected inundation of existing drainage facilities.
This grant is the first from a pilot program called Fire Management Assistance Grant Hazard Mitigation Grant Program (FMAG-HMGP). FMAG grants can reimburse 75 percent of the costs of firefighting operations to state, tribal and local governments. Eligible costs include funding for personnel, materials and equipment.
The FMAG-HMGP grant provides funding to reduce the flood risk after FMAG declarations. A critical requirement for this funding is having an approved county and state hazard mitigation plan.
FMAG-HMGP Pilot funds are available to states, territories and federally recognized tribes that received an FMAG declaration in the time frame covered by the Department of Homeland Security 2015 Appropriations Act, March 4 through Dec. 11.
FEMA encourages the use of the FMAG-HMGP funds for mitigation of burn-impacted areas to reduce the increased risk for wildfire, flood or erosion post event. However, the FMAG-HMGP Pilot is available for the mitigation of any hazard in the FMAG declared area.
The Valley Fire burn area is drained by a number of waterways including Big Canyon Creek, Putah Creek, Dry Creek, Crazy Creek, Kelsey Creek and Seigler Canyon Creek. The residential communities within and downstream of those creeks are serviced by a network of roads and highways. Numerous culverts, many of them inadequate, drain this area.
This project is expected to be completed 22 months following the award by Cal OES.
For more information on California’s wildfire recovery, visit: caloes.ca.gov or fema.gov/disaster/4240and follow us on Twitter @femaregion9 or @Cal_OES
and at Facebook.com/FEMA or Facebook.com/California OES.
Official information blog for the Lake County Office of Emergency Services